Shoujo Sense Forum - Rules or Guides - small version of just few notes

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2017, 02:11:13 am

Home Help Login Register
+  Shoujo Sense Forum
|-+  Series
| |-+  Staff Applications
| | |-+  Proofreaders
| | | |-+  Rules or Guides - small version of just few notes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rules or Guides - small version of just few notes  (Read 2249 times)
hemony
Administrator

« on: June 26, 2014, 08:44:28 pm »

What I definitely want you to remember when proofreading:
1. "............................................" is always only "...", I don´t want to see 2 dots, nor 4 dots and definitelly not more than 3 dots
2. "---", "~~" and similar things randomly added in words or after words - are all to be REMOVED
3. report all missing text
4. NOT alright -> all right (some people just can´t remember that)
5. notations used in my trans that proofers has to clear out (doesn´t mean to delete without thinking):
    I. (bla) - text that may be included in sentence but may not
    II. (-bla) or (=bla) - explanations mostly just for proofers, sometimes notes (T/N or *) to be added into pages depending on reader´s need for understanding
    III. (/bla) - alternative translation to something
6. in proofed file has to remain only text that will be typeset in way easy to understand where (usually translator job to make it clear enough if needed)
7. often seen so mentioning:
here are(/here´re) plates
NOT here´s plates
there´re pens
NOT there´s pens
8. group of senpais, not senpai = it´s not something that is used everywhere (=in every group) but in some cases it´s better to know that there were more than 1 of senpai mentioned. If you don´t know what was in original from sentence = mail to me Q
9. sentence ending things (. ! ?) or their various combinations should be at end of every sentence. end of bubble doesn´t make dot magically appear without actual one being there
10. I can afford to start sentences with small letters but proofer can´t in chapter files. BUT:
if you have:
I... //
will run.
NEVER turn it into:
I... //
Will run.
11. it´s always better to ask me something before doing it in my view wrong
12. proofed files rename to title_of_chapter_proofed
13. don´t change "doki" to anything else
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 04:49:59 pm by hemony » Logged
panda21
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:08:40 am »

About the dots. It's not necessary, right? Because dots don't really appear in bubbles, or should I, as a proofreader, still put dots at the end to help the typesetter figure out when the sentence ends? ;D Oh and  I didn't know that I should clear out translators comments.I should delete stuff like: text-, small text- and -?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:12:08 am by panda21 » Logged
hemony
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 04:58:14 pm »

About the dots. It's not necessary, right? Because dots don't really appear in bubbles, or should I, as a proofreader, still put dots at the end to help the typesetter figure out when the sentence ends? ;D Oh and  I didn't know that I should clear out translators comments.I should delete stuff like: text-, small text- and -?

1. typesetter won´t be figuring where sentence ends, he/she just copy paste text into pages, so if there´s no ending dot there isn´t one. this can be a mess reading it, because not all bubbles have whole sentences, some has only part of sentence.
2. definitelly don´t delete location or type of text, things like: - as start of bubble, text, (not transing), //, and whole lots of others similar things
panda21
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 07:22:00 am »

Thanks for clarifying that :D
Yuu
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 01:15:37 pm »

ooh this is really helpful
thanks hemony!
hemony
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 07:25:04 am »

rules updated (10. and 13.)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Shoujo Sense Forum, Rules or Guides - small version of just few notes - Theme by Mustang Forums